Saturday, August 21, 2010

My first cute project

I recently acquired a new fantabulous sewing machine (because you know, I'm getting so crafty I just had to have something beyond the beginner setup I was dealing with before) ... it's so smooth and powerful and just plain loverly that I keep comparing it to how a new sports car must feel...

And wow - it must be fantastic as it inspired me to make this:


How did I make this adorable little frock you ask?

  • Take a plain white onesie (purchased for 25 cents or something ridiculous at a garage sale earlier in the year)
  • For fabric, scrounge up some jersey material from a fuchsia top that I've worn perhaps once in the past 3 years of owning it...
  • Cut out a bunch of various sized circles of fabric for the front flower and some strips for the back ruffles
  • Layer the circles and sew directly onto onesie using about a trillion stitches - making sure you stitch in some random beads (saved from a necklace Maddie broke recently) for the middle
  • Add a few more stitches to the bottom layer of the flower to try and reinforce it a bit better - learn that this doesn't actually do much...

Beginner Crafter's Note: I probably should have used some kind of fabric or backing on the inside of the onesie to sew the flower to for reinforcement, instead of just to the garment itself, because all those petal layers makes the flower pretty heavy. Am I going to rip out the stiching and take my advice to fix this error? Hell to the no!

  • For the ruffles just line up the first fabric strip, pin it in a few spots to gather it up and give you a guide for sewing... and then just sew the fabric sloooooowly - gathering it up bit by bit as you go.
  • Voila! You have an easy-peasy (trust me this was easy as I'm no Martha) cuted-up onesie for your munchkin...

Katie loves it...

And now I just have to figure out how to make a similar shirt for Maddie, as she was mighty jealous watching me make this for her lil sister...

xxoo.S

No comments: