Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dear Maddie,

Your actual birthday was yesterday - but the Princess Party we put on was such a smashing success I crashed into bed shortly after you finally went to sleep - and so, your birthday wish is one day late.

Three years old. "I am fweeeee years old today!" you tell me. Already you are growing up more - no more binkies during the day. We talked about this leading up to your birthday for almost 2 weeks and you seem to be totally on board. Such a big girl now. (As for nighttime habit - we'll worry about that in another 6 months)

A headstrong little girl, you have a romantic, soft side that makes me teary. You love fairy tales, you love princesses, you love happily ever after... Daddy is your Prince (he'd like to keep it that way for a while, please), and I get to be Queen (of course I do...). "May I have this dance?" you ask us constantly - and we twirl and whirl in our tiny living room.

Your openness to try new foods and to eating in general really disappeared this year, but you seemed to replace it with an openness to making friends, trying new things - always.on.the.go. I can't believe you haven't had more owwwies considering your coordination abilities are clearly inherited from me. While you still love adventuring outside, you also have a crazy addiction to tv that we keep trying to dissuade - it's the princess movies that you love. Dora has been replaced. Elmo has been replaced. Mickey has been replaced. Disney princesses always, all the time - "Please mommy, you put Belle on?" you beg me daily.

I love how much you love your sister - all my worries about whether you'd be jealous vanished out the window quite quickly. You are already a considerate, protective, loving big sister. If Katie cries you don't stop telling me that "Quick Mommy! Katie's crying!" until I go to her. Apparently when you play "pretend" at daycare with your new friend, Avery, the baby in the game is always named Katie. And she loves you already so much, boo - never taking her eyes off you if you're around - I can't wait to see what kind of trouble you two get up to as soon as she gets mobile...

You are YOU my bugaloo. And this 3rd year has been filled with discovery and wonder and frustration and imagination and patience and love - for all of us. You make us better people Maddie - and for that, on this Thanksgiving weekend - I thank you. Thank you for coming into our lives. Thank you for giving us a massive reason to be thankful every day. Thank you for being YOU.


Love,

Mommy (and Daddy too)
xxoo

1 comment:

Carly said...

Beautiful, Sara! Happy Birthday to your Bugaloo.