Monday, January 10, 2011

Seamus

A little late to the announcement.... but we got a dog! He came to live with us on December 27th by way of an early birthday surprise courtesy of the Hubs. Yes, he who had vowed no dogs for our house at least for another 2 years.

My sister-in-law's mom is a breeder of Westies and she had one last pup to sell - who wasn't going to be registered because he had a floppy ear or something like that... Small dog, non-shedding, happy, good-natured breed - check check check! So I had sent the email of photos and info onto the Hubs with a message of something like, "PUUUUUUUHHHHHH-LLLLEEEEEAAAAASSEEEE".

And he smiled and said, "Nope - we absolutely can't handle another thing to take care of right now."

I was pissed, and annoyed, and thought I could convince him around - but I was also sick as a mother-effin' dog and had a lot of the fight zapped out of me. So while I grumbled, I really didn't mount an incredible fuss.

Little did I know he had already emailed the breeder, made arrangements for a delivery and gave her the heads up that his wife may send an email back telling her no, and that she should just ignore any correspondence from me.

This was such a surprise for me and kudos to the Hubs as it's totally not his style to be super-stealth and arrange things behind my back like this. I had NO idea it was happening, or that it was even a possibility... he played his part well and I truly had no inkling he had caved.

And so December 27th - he headed out to pick up something from the store, and returned, with... a puppy!


Seamus came knowing his name, paper-trained, and a pure cuddle monkey. He's the perfect addition - already a momma's boy and has Maddie trained to feed him parts of her dinner at mealtime.

He's learning to go outside (this is a long, tortuous affair when I'm all distracted by the other little monkey) and he won't stop eating his own poop or digging in my garden... but at the end of the day, when the girls are tucked into bed and I'm finally getting to enjoy some "me time", he hops up onto the couch and snuggles up and makes me forgive all.

xxoo.S

No comments: