Thursday, May 22, 2008

Maddie stuff

This past Sunday we were at a friend's BBQ and there were 2 one month old babies there, and as much as I tried, I really couldn't remember when she was like that. I mean, I remember when I see pictures. But I don't really remember what it was like to have a little quiet (for the most part) blob that would sleep anywhere and not really notice all that much around her.

Instead we have this curious-cat little girl that is wanting to go-go-go all the time-time-time. Here's just a few of the things she's doing lately...
  • Crawling! Albeit backwards - she hasn't really figured out the forward motion yet, but she is pushing herself around backwards all over the place. And she can pivot on a dime. Which helps when she finds herself in front of a toy she wants, and as she tries to inch her way toward it, she finds herself moving further and further away from it. So with enough turns and some rolls thrown in, she will manage to get herself where she needs to go. Or stuck under the couch - you know, either...or...
  • Communicating! She does this high-pitched squeal thing whenever she sees one of the cats. Which I take to mean, "Kitty!" She really, really, really wants to get them. I kind of feel sorry for them when she does start to crawl.
  • Understanding! She definitely understands some words + some signs (although not signing back just yet). If you ask her where Daddy is, she looks all over the room until she spots him. If you say, "There's the kitty!", she looks toward where you're pointing and then smiles the biggest grin. If you ask her if she wants more (this is a sign language thing) while she's eating, she groans/growls/grunts while slamming her hands down on her highchair tray and leaning forward - I think this is a yes...
  • Playing! By herself!! Yes, she's a little Miss Independence. As long as she has interesting toys or things that make noise all around her, you can leave her for a while. Like 10 or 15 mins on her own. I think that's pretty good - and try to make sure I practice this a few times a day so she isn't reliant on us sitting with her and playing with her.
Other things include: saying 'dada' constantly (check out the vid of it on youtube); eating 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch/snack, and dinner); trying formula for the first time (and liking it); eating her toes every chance she gets; going into the crawling position from sitting; pulling up on your hands from sitting to standing; screeching just for the hell of it; telling me it's time for boob+nap by turning toward me and pulling on my pant leg while we're sitting playing; looking for stuff when she throws it (hilarious to see her long-necking to see where the toy went); um, banging stuff against other stuff - A LOT; having giggle fits over the most ridiculous things; turning the pages of the book while we're reading....

I could go on and on and on - but you get the picture. It feels like she learns something new daily - and I know it gets even crazier as she gets older. Buh, I hope I have the energy to keep up...

xxoo.S

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Ah that vid was funny... she is adorable!