Friday, October 10, 2008

A fever and some new slippers!

Well, Maddie had another first along with her first birthday yesterday - her first fever!  I dropped her at daycare in the morning and she had felt warm, but when I had taken her temp she hadn't registered over 37.3 (like 99 degrees Fahrenheit?).  I asked Alexise (our daycare lady) to keep an eye on her and to give me a call if she thought she was getting any warmer, I would come pick her up.

She called me at noon to say that she was acting fine, but that she was getting warmer - registering a fever of just 100 at this point.  I knew she'd be fine if I left her - but I figured, she would sleep easily here, and that if she was feeling crappy, she definitely needed her sleep - so off I went to pick her up.

I only got about an hour and a half nap out of her, then she was up for the rest of the day and totally dragging!  I gave her some tylenol and tried to keep her up as long as I could - but by 6 she was ready for her bath (more than an hour earlier than what we usually do).  Before her bath I took her temp again and this time it was 38.6 (around 101.5 f), so I gave her more tylenol and she was tucked away in bed before 7pm.  I had to wake her up around midnight to give her a bottle (as she refused it before bedtime) and she felt sooo hot at this point.  I wiped her head with a cool washcloth and put her back down to sleep.  She was up again around 4am and I gave her some more tylenol and rocked her back to sleep - where she stayed until 8:30 this morning.  Almost 14 hours of sleep!  But the fever was gone - which is good.

From the above, sounds like I handled it like a pro, huh?  Not likely.  I was pretty scared and nervous and, I don't know, whatever it is that new Mom's go through on their first time with a feverish baby.  And with Seth in Montreal the past few days - well, let's just say it wasn't a fun night for me - but I guess whatever I did worked, because she's back to her old self today.

Oh - and she got the coolest birthday gift from Alexise, our daycare lady.  These adorably small Padraig wool slippers.  Both Alexise and her two-year-old daughter are always wearing them when I drop Maddie off, and I've made a few comments on how comfy and cute they are ... so she got Maddie a pair for her birthday - how nice is that??  Anyways - I think they may be my Christmas gift for everyone this year - they are pretty cool.

Have a turkey-lurkey weekend everyone!!!

xxoo.S

No comments: