Thursday, February 26, 2009

And so it begins...

A friend of mine blogged some time ago about Meltdown City. In fact, re-reading her post, I realize that Maddie is around the same age that Izzy was at the time the post was written.

Huh, perhaps it's a developmental thing? 16 months = disastrous temper tantrums over nothing?

Who knows. I just know it's getting old. Quick.

Last night's meltdown ensued after watching her nighttime show, "In the Night Garden". The drama of the show ending (and heading up for her bath - a routine we follow every.single.night.) was apparently more than she could handle.

She cried as soon as the tv clicked off. She cried all the way up the stairs. She cried while I undressed her. While Seth ran the bath. While she was getting her teeth brushed. While she was getting her bath...

You get the picture.

And there was no calming her. Nothing could be done to end her perception of the tragedy that life had become at that moment. I couldn't calm her down. Distract her. Soothe her. Comfort her.

Nothing. Nada. Nyet.

She finally chilled out about halfway through getting her pajamas on. We read one book, drank some milk and went to sleep.

I feel for her. I really do. I wish she could explain to me what is wrong (beyond her teeth hurting - but they can't just start randomly hurting to that extent out of the blue, no?).

I hate feeling powerless and unable to calm her down. And I hate seeing her get so worked up over.... what? I still have no idea.

Meltdown City sucks. And that's all I have to say about that...

xxoo.S

No comments: