Friday, November 12, 2010

Toddler book-shopping

I recently took advantage of a "mom's night out" sale at the local Chapters - as frugal as I am, there is nothing better to me than a brand-new book. Stiff spines. That new book smell you get. And since I'm a re-reader of novels, I so don't feel guilty buying a new book for my "library".

But this isn't about shopping for me.

(Well, I did buy one for me - but just ONE)

The rest of my purchases were for the girls. $200 worth. (And that's with the 25% discount).

(Yes, we like our books)

But this isn't about my book-shopping habits or trying to justify the amount I spend on books... It's a shout-out to all my fantabulous friends on Facebook who gave me so many suggestions and new authors to take a look at.

You see, aside from the odd book here and there, Maddie has been making do with her current bookstash that essentially hasn't changed since she was a baby. That's not to say all her books are baby books - she was given a shedload of Disney Golden Books in her first year. And Dr. Seuss. And some Curious George. And let's not forget the recent Princess book obsession.

So she's good - but her bookcase is getting mighty full. And with her new fondness of the longer stories (that's not to say we don't break out a Sandra Boynton "Going to Bed" book for old times' sake every once in a while) - but I'm getting a bit sick of Disney stories. Especially the roster of Cinderella, Peter Pan and Snow White that she favours. Because really? There's only so much Disney you can take.

And so I picked up some Jillian JiggsAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Each Peach Pear Plum and yes, another Disney Princess book.

Of course, Katie wasn't left out - she got a new Karen Katz, I Love You More, Ten Little Fingers & Ten Little ToesGoodnight Moon (yes SHOCKINGLY we didn't have it) and several others.

But thanks to all the reco's I received, there are so many more I'm excited to look for now:

  • The Pirate & The Penguin by Patricia Storms
  • 10 Big Toes & A Prince's Nose by Nancy Gow
  • The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
  • Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
  • Barnyard Collection by Doreen Cronin
  • Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor
  • And of COURSE some more Robert Munsch - too many to list...
I love the simplicity and sweetness of the board books but oh, the memories some of the toddler books give me. I practically well up when I read her my old "Monster at the end of this book". And as I looked at the Robert Munsch titles in the bookstore I swear I could smell my old school library. I was such a little reader as a kid - I loved getting to pick out books in that half hour or whatever it was they would give us. And I swear that's when my compulsive shopping habits began, because I would just pile books high into a pile and check out the maximum amount every time because I could never decide on just one. 

So yes, baby books are fun. Toddler books are exciting. I can't wait to give both my girls their Christmas stockings this year...

xxoo.S

No comments: